Feeling No Progress In Life And Work? Time To Look Around.
Being an entrepreneur means doing things that may seem weird, or at least unworthy to the majority. But some people will be constantly taking you down a notch. It’s called social undermining. And the more unique your startup idea is, the harder they will try and in bigger numbers they will come. Even if you’ve found enough courage for the first step you still might end up feeling stuck, low in energy and unable to make any further progress - thanks to them. We tried to figure out what social undermining actually is and what motives stand behind undermining.
Are you being undermined?
In most cases, it’s pretty obvious when someone’s trying to undermine you. However, there are times when you start doubting yourself, feeling a lack of support, and become resentful for no clear reason. Look around, they might have managed to somehow take off your guard. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do other people around you feel the same? Take a closer look at your coworkers or other people you’re spending most of your time with. You might catch both underminers and their victims.
- Do you feel defensive around certain people? If you feel like you have to prove something to somebody then most probably these are the underminers.
- Do you often hear people near you gossiping about the lifestyle choices of others? It might sound like concern, but if you recognize these talks as gossips and judgment it’s them again.
- Does anyone in your circles like throwing around backhanded compliments that sound rather like insults? Such remarks undoubtedly affect your mental health.
- Does anyone around you try too hard to look supportive, nurturing, or caring? This is a typical sign of underminers.
- Are you sometimes tempted away from your intentions by certain people? When you’re trying to get used to going to bed earlier, underminers tell you how amazing this late TV show is. When you’re trying to take up exercise after work, they say exercising is overrated and it’s better to veg out on the couch.
If you're feeling stuck it might also be procrastination to blame. Know how it can be slowing you down.
Why do they undermine what you do?
But why would anyone destroy your motivation? Why undermining other people on their way to success? Here are some types of underminers according to their motives:
- Wild rivals.
- Bossy bosses.
The further ahead you get the more people will become jealous about your progress. This type will keep on undermining whatever you do to weaken your goals or successes and to feel themselves equal to you.
Obsession with their own success makes them blind. They will do anything to get any competition out of the way, even denigrate everyone they see as competitors.
A road to success is never a straight line. Many try to follow it and many fail, if not the most. You should always keep it in mind for those who have failed once will be constantly warning you thus trying to undermine you.
There are people who would try to undermine you out of genuine concern. Entrepreneurship is rarely a safe path, it requires taking certain financial and other risks, of course. Your relatives and friends who are aware of that will naturally try to save you from the threats it possesses. Yet their fears are often exaggerated.
There is a type of bosses who don’t really know how to treat their employees. Out of unawareness and fear of losing their weight, they will always remind their subordinates that they are bosses for a reason, and the reason is that they are better than those who take orders from them.
If you're sure you're being undermined wait no more - take measures. Here are 6 simple strategies.
Now that you have some understanding of why underminers undermine you can think over tactics to diminish their poisoning effect on you. If you’re still not sure what measures to take, check out our next article How To Deal With People Who Undermine You .